PETER SINGER'S DAL RECIPE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed/chopped)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1- 2 tablespoons curry powder, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup small red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2-3 bay leaves, to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tin tomatoes, (chopped)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic til fragrant.
- Add onions and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add curry powder and salt, to taste, and cook over medium heat til mixture begins to brown.
- Add lentils and stir for a minute or so before adding water, the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Bring to boil, then turn heat down very low and simmer for 20minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped tomatoes, and simmer a further 10minutes, until thick. The lentils should be soft and the consistency just liquid enough to pour.
- Add coconut milk and lemon juice. Stir through, and remove from heat.
Serve over rice with lime pickle and mango chutney.